Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Muito Frio!

Well people...it's COLD in Brazil! Brrr! We went from very warm and humid to a couple of rainy days that were comfortable to the last two days being sunny but chilly! Tonight I could even see my breath! I just checked the weather and it says 59 degrees, but 77% humidity. It just much colder than 60 degrees in Bozeman! The Brazilians have pulled out their heavy coats...some were even wearing a scarf, gloves, and a hat (with their Havianas of course)!

I won't be posting any photographs tonight but I wanted to tell you a little about our day. It was a busy one for sure! We again got up to go to the second half of the English classes taught by Menezes when Dave & Carol teach a Bible story and sing songs with the kids. Today's classes were held in a different community than yesterday's classes. In between the morning and afternoon classes, I taught a "private" photography lesson for Michel (who I mentioned earlier in this blog) and Luciana. Luciana was originally going to translate for Michel but Darcio happened to stop by the house at the time our lesson was to begin and he said he would translate so that Luciana could concentrate on learning. It was an abbreviated lesson of what I've taught at A Rocha so far, but we spent quite a bit of time outside photographing. I had a wonderful time hanging out with these guys and getting to know them better. It seemed that they all had a really good time and hopefully, they learned just a little bit! I will try to post a couple of their photographs tomorrow.

I am still fighting congestion and stopped up ears, but hopefully that won't last must longer. Today was long and busy, but tomorrow will not be as full. We plan to go to the feira in the morning, then we'll have the weekly Thursday lunch with Dave & Carol, then my photography class tomorrow night. I plan to introduce the idea of "self-portrait" and they'll be doing an introductory activity that is a non-literal self-portrait to get them thinking of ideas about how they want to represent themselves. I'm excited to see their portraits from Tuesday's assignment to photograph someone who is important to them.

I think that's all for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment