Thursday, May 28, 2009

Second Photo Class! (Segunda Photo Aula)

Well I just completed my second photo class tonight and GOOD NEWS!...all of the kids from Monday night returned! :) I also had two more students tonight. I will post their photographs as well as Allexsey's photograph tomorrow.

The class went really well. Menezes is taking tests tonight so Darcio, the student who spent several months in Montana, translated for me tonight. He did a wonderful job! He was very quick and I could tell that he was translating almost verbatim rather than just the general ideas. I was able to cover quite a bit and I could tell the kids were really trying to think about what I taught them as they were practicing with their cameras tonight. I gave them an "assignment" to photograph their "community" and whatever that means to them over the weekend. They were able to check out the cameras in order to complete this homework. I told them that I trust them so I hope and pray that they come back with the cameras on Monday. I really do trust them, but one of the books I used as a resource in preparing for this class mentioned that the kids may have the best of intentions, but sometimes they are in home situations where family members or friends may steal the cameras from them. So, if you would, please pray that these kids would be able to hang on to their cameras and that they would return with them on Monday. Thanks!

There is another boy that wants to come to my class but he attends school at night. I've been trying to think of a time to meet with him just one-on-one, but we have to coordinate with someone who can translate as well. His name is Michel and I'm not sure if that's how he spells his name or not. I've been very impressed with Michel on the occasions that I've seen him. He takes it upon himself to study and learn English from Cris and piano from Carol (one of the missionaries here). Michel rides his bike or walks from quite a ways away to take these lessons. He is choosing to learn these extra things all on his own. On top of that, he wants to learn photography!

This morning Eddie & I visited the Thursday feira (market) again...this time with Dave & Carol. While we were there, we were invited to visit a "farm" of sorts from one of the vendors (a girl working for him spoke English and was once a student of Dave & Carol's). They said they have tropical birds as well, so I hope we really do get to go tomorrow like they've planned. I was also reminded at the feira to watch my camera! We had a minor incident with a guy that we weren't too sure about, but I think it really was nothing. I do keep my hand on my camera at all times and I usually keep it in my bag, but I had it out photographing the feira. I feel safe here, but we do have to stay aware of our surroundings at all times. Everyone lives behind locked gates so we just try to be hyper-aware and careful. Basically, it's just the same as if we lived in any major city. We have to walk to the club each night with my computer and camera and a projector, but tonight we switched the bag to a backpack so it is not recognizable as a laptop bag. In any case, we've been safe and haven't even had any "close calls."

Wow, I was long winded tonight! I hope you enjoyed today's post. Thanks for reading and thanks for your continued prayers. Please pray that we'll continue to get to know the kids despite the language barrier and that the relationships we've begun here will be continued once we return home. We were both approved for 5 year visas so we're already hoping to be able to return one day!

I'll try to get over to the mission house tomorrow to use my computer to post some photographs from today. Bye bye now!

No comments:

Post a Comment